Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Tragic

So, no...this is not the next Vegas post. I was actually sitting here at my computer working on said post (being very proud of myself for having accomplished about a million things on my to do list today) when I hear water...loud water. I think to myself it is most likely the washing machine filling on the rinse cycle because I was doing laundry and everything, but since I am home alone because Nick is at a work conference in West Virginia, I think it is best to check it out (make sure some crazy water killer isn't lurking around my laundry room....these are the things I imagine will get me in the night) SO, I walk into the laundry room and indeed the washer is refilling...but the sound seems so loud...and it isnt really coming from the washer at all...in fact, it seems to be coming from the side the dryer is on. The dryer...and the HOT WATER HEATER. Thats right folks. My hot water heater just blew up, pouring about a million gallons of water per minute (or so it seemed) into my home...and NICK IS OUT OF TOWN!!!

What did I do you ask...well, I of course called my Daddy. He was not actually available to me because he is in Danville taking care of his Daddy, so he tells me to shut off my water (like I have any earthly idea how to do such a thing) then tells me to call a plumber. I call several after hour plumbers but they either don't answer their stupid after hour phones or they just don't want my business (mind you my laundry room is now full of water and it is running fast into my kitchen and I am all the way out of towels to throw on top of it). I finally get a hold of someone's secretary who says he is on a job but will call me later. I tell her I don't have time for later THIS IS AN EMERGENCY. She says (in a rather bitchy tone) "well sweetie, if it is an emergency you should just call the fire department"...what an idea! So, that's exactly what I did.

At 10:30 the fire truck rolls up to my house, three guys roll in, one reaches to the top of my hot water heater and...you guessed it (or if you are me you are totally amazed that this is possible) turned the big blue knob on top and the water sound stops!! Hurray!! Now, here is where calling the fire department is about a trillion times better than a plumber (besides the obvious fact that I did not have to pay them!!!) They CLEANED UP THE MESS! Yes, I am here to tell you there is nobody better than the good old fire department. The asked for my water hose (which I was so happy to run and get for them...only to be TOTALLY HUMILIATED when I could not get the damn thing unscrewed and I had to go get one of them to help me...the shame) and they got their super powered Wet Vac and a squeegee Broom thing and they cleaned it right up. To be honest I think they felt a little sorry for me...but I don't care a bit. Fact is, my water is no longer pouring into my house and if I am lucky they got it all up in time for there to not even be any damage! Amazing...and that is why there is no new Vegas post tonight!